It is surrounded by a wall built in 1552 to prevent theft of herbs and other medical plants. In this garden were planted for the first time in Italy, Manolia, jasmine, potato, acacia and chrysanthemum. Its original circular shape, surrounded by water, symbolizes the planet. The Garden of Padua was founded upon deliberation of the Senate of the Venetian Republic and it was devoted to the growth of medicinal plants, which produced natural remedies, and also to help students distinguish genuine medicinal plants from false ones. By the end of the 16th century, the garden was enriched with many fountains fed by a gigantic wheel hydrophore to ensure proper irrigation.
Today the Botanical Garden allows for intensive didactic activity as well as important research to be conducted on its grounds. It also cares for the preservation of many rare species.
1,157 total views, 1 views today