17 people – children and adults – were killed when a gunman entered the high school on Wednesday afternoon and launched an attack.Twelve people were found dead inside the school, two were killed outside the building, one in the street, and two died later in hospital from their injuries.
The suspect has been named by police as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz. He was arrested at the scene and is being questioned by investigators.The killer was armed with an AR-15 rifle and “multiple magazines”, police said.
Cruz was formerly a student, but was expelled for disciplinary reasons. A teacher at the school said staff had been warned not to let him back on campus.
12 of those killed have been identified, police said on Wednesday evening.No names of victims have yet been released, but Sheriff Scott Israel said a football coach was among those lost. Fifteen victims remain in hospital: five in a life-threatening condition and 10 with injuries that are not life-threatening.